ZAYANTE FIRE PROTECTION DISTRICT
OPEN BURNING REGULATIONS
THE BURN SEASON WITHIN SANTA CRUZ COUNTY IS DECEMBER 1ST THRU APRIL 30TH. BURNING OUT OF SEASON MAY RESULT IN A CITATION AND YOU MAY BE LIABLE FOR ALL FIRE SUPPRESSION COSTS.
Beginning December 1st, open burning is permitted for one or two family dwellings only. The burn season will end on April 30th. No burning is permitted before 8:00 A.M. or after 4:00 P.M.
Open burning shall be conducted only on days designated as BURN DAYS by The Monterey Bay Unified Air Pollution Control District. Burn day status can be obtained by calling 1-800-CAL-BURN (1-800-225-2876). The recording is updated at 4:00 P.M. each day with the next day’s burn status. A Burn permit must be obtained from The Monterey Bay Unified Air Pollution Control District.
- Only yard trimmings and brush originating on the premises of 1 or 2 family dwellings may be burned.
- The materials shall be arranged in small piles to facilitate burning and shall be free of waste materials such as tires, rubbish, tar, paper, plastics, poison oak, construction materials or household garbage etc. The use of any combustible and/or flammable liquids as starting fuel is expressly prohibited. Open burning shall be conducted when time and atmospheric conditions comply with the limits set forth by the Monterey Bay Air Pollution Control District.
- Open burning shall not be conducted within 50 feet of any structure, building, property line or other combustible material. EXCEPTION: Not less than 15 feet if the pile size is 3 feet in diameter or smaller and 2 feet high or smaller.
- A garden hose connected to a water supply shall be readily available for use at the open burning site. A competent adult with a shovel supervise and tend the burning material until the fire has been extinguished.
- The Fire Chief is authorized to require that open burning be immediately discontinued if it is determined that it constitutes a hazardous condition.
- All burning in an incinerator is prohibited.
This information in no way relieves your responsibility to neighboring properties and to burn in the prescribed manner.
No person shall allow a fire kindled or attended by them to escape their control. Failure to burn within the requirements of the law may result in a citation and you may be liable for all fire suppression costs.
OPEN BURNING REQUIREMENTSThe Monterey Bay Air Pollution Control District has adopted certain requirements which must be followed during open burning. You must comply with the following requirements in addition to those found in the uniform fire code.
Burning causes air pollution! To minimize air pollution;
- You may burn on “permissive burn” days only.
- You may not burn on NON permissive burn days.
- You can inquire about burn day status by calling 1-800-CAL-BURN.
Brush and trimmings from around the property of a single or two family dwelling may be burned on the property only.
All material must be dry and free of household rubbish and other debris.
Material to be burned must be well dried.
- Green cuttings (flowers, etc.) – 10 days
- Brush and branches 2 inches or less in diameter – 30 days
- Trees and branches over 2 inches in diameter – 60 days
- Burning of poison oak is prohibited.
If you have any questions about whether or not your proposed burn complies with these requirements, please don’t hesitate to call Monterey Bay Air Pollution Control District – enforcement division at 1-800-952-5588 or contact your local fire district.
ZAYANTE FIRE PROTECTION DISTRICT
7700 E. ZAYANTE RD.
FELTON CA. 95018